1. The Genesis of "The Championship Project"

"The Championship Project" started as a way for me to put my ideas on paper about how to bring a national championship to a small NCAA Division II baseball program in Athens, WV.  One evening, while having learned that I would officially be named the next head coach at my alma mater, Concord University, I created a private blog to collect my thoughts on how I  was going to "change the world."

Call it naivety, stubbornness, or sheer determination, I was convinced that an underfunded and under-resourced program could take on and defeat the "titans" of Division II Baseball.  In order to accomplish such a large feat, it was going to take a methodical approach to building a program.  Although the original blog has long since been abandoned, the idea remained that the development of our program should be studied, documented and improved upon.

Since then, after 5 years as the head coach at Concord, I was afforded the opportunity to take over the University of Charleston program where I have been able to test the validity of the processes that I feel are successful. 

Consider this blog (or what I prefer to call an exercise in structured journaling) a more refined and committed attempt at documenting the struggles and successes of a program that will continue to grow through a strong relationship with feedback and a desire to employ the industry's best practices, regardless of resourcing.

This blog is designed to put on paper the processes (failures and successes), the influences (direct and indirect), and the lessons I have learned through my almost 20 years of being involved in collegiate athletics.

While in pursuit of building a program that separates itself by the employment of the industry's best practices, I hope to create the most comprehensive student athlete experience possible, while inspiring others to challenge and share their processes for the sake of the young men we get to coach , along with collegiate athletics as a whole.

As a general disclaimer, I do not consider myself to be the authority on all things program related.  I am merely the author (or biographer, if you consider the program a living, breathing entity) of a story about a program that "thought it could."


Comments

  1. Coach this is awesome. Not sure how I stumbled upon your blog this afternoon, but it grabbed my attention and sucked me in... I wanted to say "Thanks" for sharing and please keep these coming. I found all four of these extremely valuable. I consider myself a recovering micro-manager as well. Look forward to more of this "project". Best Wishes - Reavis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8. "Reverse Engineering" a Plan for Success

3. Championship Behaviors: Reducing the friction in pursuit of realizing our vision